The truth about designer drug molly

Molly abuse

This a flyer glamorizing molly. These can often be seen at raves, parties, festivals.

It seems as though everyone today knows the name Molly but do they really know the truth behind this drug and it’s make up.

What exactly is molly?

Molly is a fairly new designer drug that has gained its popularity from being the feel good drug to try at parties, concerts and festivals. It has been marketed to its users as being the “purest” form of MDMA however, according to U.S Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) its make up contains about only 13 percent of any MDMA.

MDMA is a drug that produces psychedelic and hallucinogenic chemicals in the brain.This is the feeling of euphoria users are clammoring for. If the contents are only 13 percent MDMA what does the other 87 percent contain? According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse it is made of bath salts!

How is molly gaining popularity?

Molly was actually first synthesized in the early 20th century but since then has undergone a total re-branding. This drug has been made wildly popular through music and social media. Since its reintroduction molly has gained a following of people who believe it is a safer version of the equally popular designer drug ecstasy. This idea stems from the concept that it is a pure form of MDMA.

What is molly abuse?

Molly abuse is the misuse of the illegal street drug molly. Teens are no longer ingesting molly at parties instead it has become a recreational drug they take at home alone or with peers.

Can your teen really get addicted to molly?

Yes, molly just like any other drug has the capability to become addictive. It is made up of both MDMA and Bath Salts which are also known as stimulants, which are drugs that target or produce chemicals in the brain such as serotonin. The physical withdrawal symptoms molly abusers experience when they stop taking the drug comes from the brain being temporarily unable to create its own feel good chemicals such as serotonin and dopamine. This cycle of using in order to escape withdrawal symptoms are signs of addictive behavior.

Withdrawal symptoms:

Faintness
Depression
Confusion
Anxiety
Nausea
Chills or Sweating

mm